Many people love photography. And they love not only during their travels and holidays ... like bring your own car, and photograph everything awakens their curiosity and admiration, jealously guarding its shots. But not all have the capacity or the luck to turn that passion into a concrete work, one that allows you to express your full potential, to do so full-time and to have a guaranteed salary.
has happened to someone, someone more clever than others, someone in that goal has not only been able to see the image that shows the goal, but also what's behind it.
The ability to see beyond, in fact, not all, nor that of being able to show through a picture not only a beautiful landscape, but the smell of that air, the warmth of the people living there. Not only the portrait of a person, but even his thoughts and his torments.
He has done it, his name is Stefano Schirato. A boy holds a degree in Political Science, he started to shoot as a child. It was not just a passion for him. Today we would call that "passion" would be lessened. It was an expression of self, and with perseverance, the skill, commitment, and that vibration some call "genius", has managed to turn his full-time job.
Schirato never photographed at the event, has always had the desire to "write stories," through his shots, then, more than a photographer has always felt a photojournalist.
He traveled the world and made the report to show the plight of children in the street or living in the sewers of Bucharest, or the situation of blacks in the ghettos of Johannesburg and Cape Town township in South Africa.
In 1999, the turning point: he won a scholarship offered as a prize from Nikon and Grace Blacks, to attend a workshop with National Geographic photographer Steve McCurry, who pushes Schirato to document the tragedy of landmines in Cambodia for Emergency. From this work, created his first book, titled "The eyes of Cambodia."
From that moment on, his calling is more clear and the work takes more and more body. Since 2000, for two consecutive years, he devoted himself to working on ships that seized the lead in various ports to document the life of seamen prisoners on board.
In 2002, the director meets Nobel Prize winner Giuseppe Tornatore, who was mesmerized by the images of that work on ships, Stephen encourages to publish them. Exit the book "Not on earth or at sea", which combines to pictures taken on the ships, a text of the director.
In 2008 he published a book on schizophrenia, entitled "Out of me," which earned him the International Prize for photojournalism Carletti. Soon after, the film documents the backstage Tornatore "Baar" that makes him win CliCiak Award 2010, a prestigious award for photographers.
's latest work, most recently, is a touching report entitled "Butterflies Anorexia - Anorexia Bulimia to disease": in a few clicks, all the drama of solitary eating disorders offered in the eyes of those who have never had the opportunity to touch the world suffering from these creatures. A series of shots taken on tiptoe, with the delicacy of one who is aware that his affliction that can enter into that of others with the right weight.
Schirato We asked how you managed to get in touch with these people, how he managed to earn their confidence to the point of being photographed in the shower. And there he explained it simply:
"The way I work is to empathize with people who I have photographed. If you do not enter into relationship with the subject that photographers can not do it. And when you work with issues such as mental illness, the subject must completely trust you. The approach is human and very slow, first without the camera. I want to be able to enter their world, to the point of becoming invisible, and only then take the camera, but at that point no longer an invader, but one of them. "
You worked many hours with these people, you could "feel" their world up close ... did you get that idea about the source of their suffering, or the human in general?
As a child I always wondered why there were my peers in other parts of the world who do not have clothes or food. I have always felt indignant and outraged about this. Suffering shocked and especially you can not dock an explanation. Then, growing up, I can safely say that getting deeply in suffering is a value added to "hear" things and experience them in a less superficial. Maybe I'll be a bit 'strong in this, but I think that without suffering there is less to give meaning to life itself.
In a recent interview you said that every time I come home after long periods such as in Cambodia or in the poorest places, you felt "refreshed" and break the atmosphere experienced you immerse yourself in your life more or less bourgeois. Then after you've added that past experience with children with schizophrenia, this detachment you have not heard. Can you explain what you mean?
I wanted to say that when you're dealing with a mental illness, you feel that the difference between "sick" and "not sick", is not so clear. The fragility Food has different answers and it is said that the response of the mentally ill is not necessarily suitable for the society in which we live. It is a very thin partition dividing the appropriate way of responding to suffering and that is not appropriate. It is said that one day I too can not not respond in a proper and just find myself in extreme cases to depression than black, and fall into mental illness.
Believe in God?, And if so, why?
Yes, believe it. I believe in a God who is not in the holy pictures or icons that fill the churches. I believe in a God who comes to grips with my life. Faith, I think that testing, and there I've always been. I was a revolutionary left and I have always fought the affluence of the church and the hypocrisy of some priests and prelates. And I thought that God, if it existed, she was sitting casually on his puff to no interest in the past of the earth. Then I had a "fall from a horse the way of St. Paul, and I've completely changed way of thinking!
you think through your job, you can serve God in this generation, and how?
Certainly, I think the topics I choose or decide to do, are also dictated by my beliefs, my principles. I can not always talk about God to the people with whom I come in contact with my reportage, a little 'because there should be a reason to do so and a bit' because I do not like to talk about it in a superficial way between shots. But when I hear a word from me could be good for the person with whom I meet, I speak of my first story, of how I met the Lord, because I think that the credibility of what you say, first of all steps from your experience.
There was a particular event in your life, happy or otherwise dramatic, you have won something more in your profession?
During the trip to Cambodia, when for the first I once had to deal with children jumped on landmines, or when I addressed the issue of child prostitution, children living in the garbage, I was deeply marked, and forever. After that trip, I was not the same. Another event that changed me was the birth of my twins. We have suffered so much at the prospect of handicap that many doctors they had feared. We did not choose to abort because it was not the solution, mainly because we believe we have no power over life. Then the girls were born healthy, thank God, but I won this personal history of being able to approach the pain of others with respect and a share that is perceived by those being photographed, and often - and this is the thing that gives me more joy - even by those who see the final image.
If you could photograph the optimism, as the person you choose?
Andrei sure to photograph the world of children, not only portraits of children, but their world, their games, their ingenuity, their smiles are not yet contaminated ... and my choice probably would turn their children's third world, despite the hardships and poverty, are often much happier and optimistic of our children. Moreover, man's happiness does not only depend on which hemisphere you were born or how much wealth you have reserved the right to life.
Sabrina Pietrangeli Paluzzi
0 comments:
Post a Comment